Yael strives to foster a community of independent dance & performance composers in Jerusalem by promoting artistic communication and collaboration among the artistsYael’s facility provides creative spacto work and create, stage a performance, gain exposure, participate in supplemental training programs and provide tools to manage independently. Yael thereby enhances the employment and creative opportunities for dance and performance artists while also making their works accessible to the broader public. * Becoming a member of the community of independent dance and performance artists in Jerusalem is free but require meeting certain criteria.
1. Exposure, branding and advertising Upon joining the community, every member has the opportunity to receive a personalized page on the Yael Center’s homepage. This choreographer page can be used to showcase their work and promote themselves. There will be extensive use of digital networks to advertise and promote the artists’ endeavors
- Choreographer’s Personal Web page
- Professionally-run Facebook page
- YouTube channel
- Yael Home page in both Hebrew and English to publicize and promote Yael’s activities as well as the art and the artists
- Newsletter of the Dance department – Jerusalem arts and culture department.
2. creative spaces for a symbolic fee or in exchange for an artistic project (as part of an exchange program). Yael provides rehearsal spaces (Yael, Alharizi, and Gonenim) for individuals to practice, produce and showcase their art.
3. 1 x 1 mentoring – dance feedback The program is free of charge for members of the community of independent dance and performance artists in Jerusalem. Independent dance and performance artists have the opportunity to meet with leading dancers and performance artists and cultural directors from Israel. Artists are welcome to bring their work, whether it’s still in progress or being staged, to the mentoring sessions. During these one-on-one sessions, which last 60 minutes, a selected mentor will provide artistic accompaniment and professional-organizational consultation.
4. 10/20 Show – Dance and Performance in Urban space Experience an intimate and artistic encounter with Jerusalem’s alleys, hidden corners, and cultural venues through a dance and performance series. This alternative stage provides a platform for artists, their creations, and the audience to come together and enjoy a unique experience. With this series, the Jerusalem municipality dance department is supporting the following:
Creative freedom – the ability to express oneself freely and creatively and awarding nine or so grants totaling some NIS 90,000 for developing, producing, and displaying a work of art all over Jerusalem in addition to marketing and operational costs.
create cultural and artistic events accessible and free for the public to enjoy. Exposing the public at large to the works of the community of independent dance and performance artists
Promoting collaborations with Jerusalem cultural and artistic institutions such as: The Center for Middle Eastern Music, Studio Vertigo Gerard Behar, The S.A. Nachon Museum of Italian Jewry, The Greek Colony House, the Jerusalem Arts Campus, Studio Mishelach, Hamifal and others…
5. START ART in the neighborhoods
A series of dance and performance events at business complexes in Jerusalem dance events customized for a specific place and neighborhood in Jerusalem, It provides a professional, cultural, and artistic space right of local commercial centers; this brings dance and performance art to the residents of these neighborhoods in a familiar environment.Community members will receive a cash grant and a marketing package to work together with their fellow artists in creating, producing, and presenting their work. A series of dance and performance events at business place and neighborhood that invites a professional artistic and cultural space to the residents of Jerusalem’s neighborhoods in their everyday environment and brings dance and performance to the heart of the business centers. In the place where the residents make arrangements at the bank or the post office, the shopping at the supermarket or the clothing store, and to their favorite neighborhood places, such as the local coffee shop or the neighborhood pizzeria. The series brings to the fore the dance and performance who will join together for the development of original premiere works that will be presented in public business spaces in the neighborhoods of Jerusalem and address the residents of Jerusalem in their everyday spaces
6. Community of independent dance and performance artists
Independent artists usually singlehandedly manage all steps in the artistic process, but there is another way.Yael offers artists the opportunity to join a community and initiate professional, social and other collaborations.
At your disposal:
- A closed Facebook group and a WhatsApp group
- Professional networking (performance and rehearsal managers, dramaturges, and photographers) who can help promote collaborations among community members
A Steering committee consist of the Yael manager and community members who use the studio; its purpose is to encourage the community’s goals by the artists’ needs, all according to the municipality’s objectives
Are you interested in becoming a member of the community? Take a look at the call for submissions.